LOCATION: Loch Lomond
SUITABLE FOR: An individual seeking regular part-time work (non-farming role)
ROLE: Weekly changeovers in a self-catering farmhouse.
Portnellan Farm is looking for a holiday house cleaning wizard to help Freda or Rosie with our Saturday changeovers in the Old Farmhouse, a 4* star self-catering house with lovely views to keep you entertained while you clean. It is a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom property with décor that has been chosen to keep cleaning simple as possible. So, we are looking for someone to regularly help us maintain the high standards our guests expect.
We would be delighted to hear from anyone – young or older, any sex or gender – a sense of humour and an ability to leave a place sparkling would be much appreciated!
Email direct: email@example.com
Posted on Ruralink 8 April 2021.
SUITABLE FOR: Service-leaver looking for a GatewayJob into horticulture.
Production Operative role – with the opportunity for progression into a leadership role - in Hampshire
After the Military's client is looking for a highly motivated and well organised individual who is a team player to join this Hampshire “rural-based” business.
It is advantageous if you are from a military background.
Responsibilities – in summary· Currently enjoying a period of strong growth, you will be joining an organisation that is expanding meaning promotion opportunities in the near future.
· The role is supported by an internal professional development programme to enable the candidate to develop practical management skills required to progress within the business.
· They are looking for someone with an excellent work ethic, who is values-driven and leads by example.
· The position is production-based and involves the growing of turf and related products plus general manual and machine-based farming work.
· The role is divided between working in the team that reports to the Turf manager to meet quality standards for turf growing and selling. Alongside this it involves working in a team headed by the Farm Manager to meet quality standards in a commercial farming environment.
· Driving of various machinery to the agreed standard.
· Completion of required manual tasks on Farm and Turf beds to the agreed standard.
· Maintenance of various equipment to the agreed standard.
· Understand and deliver quality standards across all aspects of work.
· Understanding and following all health and safety requirements of the role.
Posted 24 February 2021
LOCATION: near MELROSE
SUITABLE FOR: an individual seeking seasonal work or building a portfolio career
ROLE: 2-3 days a week beat maintenance in the spring/summer; 6 days a week client-facing in Sept/Oct.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Building experience, connections and reputation which may lead to running your own beat or to related opportunities on this or a neighbouring estate.
1st Boatman (ghillie) (ex-RN) writes:
If anyone is interested get them to give me a call for an informal chat or they could come down to see the beat.
Watch the video to meet the ghillie and find out more about the role.
Posted on Ruralink 21 Dec 2020 (updated 27 Dec).
Ruralink recently placed a candidate on this farm. The owner is so impressed by their calibre that he is now seeking more military candidates.
The ex-Royal Navy General Manager writes:
A position is available on the above premises to assist the farmer in the daily running of a 200-sow farm that aims to produce and sell 6000 pigs per annum.
Tasks would include:
· AI and breeding management
· Birthing (farrowing) supervision and piglet management.
· Management, feeding and general care of all stock – breeding sows, piglets, weaners (7-35kg) and finishers (35 - 110kg).
· Administration and recording of any vaccinations and antibiotics.
· Weekend duties – 12 days on, 2 days off.
The chosen candidate will be joining a small team where full training will be given.
Posted on Ruralink: Nov 2020 (updated 21 Dec)
SUITABLE FOR: A junior logistics operator with telehandler experience and an interest in agriculture and/or science.
CAREER POTENTIAL: This is a gateway role with a forces-friendly family company who are pushing technological and logistics development within the grain sector.
Either progress within the business or potentially take the experience gained here into a grain producer or analyst role to start developing a career in commercial agriculture.
EMPLOYER QUOTE: The job would suit a sensible, mechanically minded person who is able to deal with numerous farm machinery.
PAY: negotiable plus vehicle
Updated 21 Dec 2021
A Gateway Job is one where the values, skills and competencies you bring with you from your military career are of greater importance in the role than pre-existing knowledge of the target sector. These are therefore ideal roles in which to start a new career.
Ruralink is particularly keen to link service-leavers with employers offering a #GatewayJob.
Military personnel are generally not permitted to take on second jobs whilst serving, which can make it challenging to undertake work experience. In the land-based sector, there are countless opportunities to learn new, relevant skills and grow a professional network through voluntary roles. Ruralink Conservation Volunteers also provides a focus for service leavers seeking volunteer roles alongside fellow resettling personnel.
CIVILIAN WORK ATTACHMENTS
This is a brilliant scheme which allows service-leavers to undertake a workplace attachment whist still being paid by the MOD. The hosting employer is responsible for ensuring the attached service-leaver's safety at work and for providing meaningful experience; the MOD is responsible for pay, accommodation and transport. Such attachments often lead to offers of employment but, where they do not, the experience, professional connections, potential refernece and CV entry can be invaluable.
Ruralink is building a team of Ruralink Veteran Ambassadors across the services and in the land-based sector. If you think you may be interested, please get in touch now.
TREE SURGEON TEAM LEADER
· A tree surgery business based in Aldershot requires a Tree Surgeon Team Leader to manage a team of three. As well as leadership experience you will have several years as a "climber/tree surgeon" with appropriate climbing and tree-felling qualifications and (ideally) you'll have a military background.
· The role is central to the effective management of tree surgery and related jobs, both on and off-site. You will be able to coordinate activities, to plan ahead and adapt to changing situations delivering a high standard of service for customers at all times.
· You will be an effective team leader and problem solver, used to dealing with subcontractors, equipment and agencies to see a project through successfully to completion and within budget.
Offered by After The Military.
Download full job spec below.
Please mention Ruralink in your application.
The Buchanan Trust is a veterans charity based in Bosbury, Herefordshire who are seeking a military veteran to take on a ten-year tenancy of their 700 acre mixed farm. They will support a member of the military community through the tenancy bid process and provide further mentoring as required.
The trust was established after WW1 specifically to benefit veterans but has struggled to attract ex-military tenants in recent years. The farm's three smaller holdings were therefore consolidated a few years ago, including significant investment to achieve Red Tractor Assurance, and run in-hand as a commercial venture. However, the charitable purposes were judged not to be being achieved and the trust is therefore once again seeking a military tenant. This is a life-changing opportunity for the right person (or family) but should not be approached lightly - it will be hard work but could be very profitable - as well as satisfying!
DOWNLOAD THE FARM SPECIFICATION HERE
Find out more about the Buchanan Trust HERE.
Do contact the Buchannon Trust directly with any questions or to arrange a visit. If you require support in considering whether such a move is right for you, or whether you are qualified, do email firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS IS A FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY AND THE TRUST WILL BE FLEXIBLE TO SUPPORT THE RIGHT TENANT.
"We will positively discriminate towards veterans with the right qualifications."
Copyright © 2021 Rural and Remote Apprentices Link Ltd - All Rights Reserved.